Pick-up service & Public Transport
Next to this Pick-Up Service, a travel guide has been developed, which can be found here.
Can I come to Enschede by myself?
Sure, it isn't that difficult! You can take the train to Enschede by yourself. If you want to prepare for this journey, please check the sites below.
Journey planner Dutch Railway (NS) - Use this website to plan your journey and to see how much the train ride will cost.
Route description and campus map - On this website you can find a route description to the University of Twente and map of the campus.
When you arrive at Enschede station, you can take bus 1 to the campus of the University of Twente. When you arrive at Hengelo station, you can take bus 9 to the campus or to the city centre of Enschede.
Please note: wearing a face mask is mandatory when you make use of public transport in the Netherlands.
Public transport card discount for international students
The University of Twente and ISIC have arranged a special public transport card with discount for international students.
In the Netherlands you need an OV-chipkaart to travel around with the train, bus, metro and tram. There are two possibilities:
- An anonymous card without any discount
- A personal card, where you need a Dutch debit card and the buying process is written in Dutch
Both options are not ideal for international students. That is why ISIC created the ISIC/OV-chipkaart, a custom-made card for international students. Buy the basic card for €15,- (including the ISIC card) and sign-up (optional) for services and discount created for international students for a small monthly fee:
- 15% discount during off-peak hours on national railway (NS)
- A digital ISIC card, with the best discounts in the Netherlands and the rest of the world
- Customized application process for international students
- Automatic top-up option (no more topping op of balance)
- Travel data, customer service etc in ISIC mobility app
- Public transport bike (OV-fiets) and storage
You need to sign-up for your card here, which includes the public transport card + the digital ISIC card. After confirmation you will be able to pick-up your card during the introduction days at the Facility Market.
Your first train ticket in the Netherlands
What to do when you arrive at Schiphol? Unfortunately you don’t have your OV-chipkaart yet, that is why ISIC offers you your first train ticket in the Netherlands for only €11,- (off peak hours) or €16,50 (peak hours). Specially for ISIC cardholders! With this ticket you can get on board at any station in the Netherlands and decide which station you want to go to.
ISIC members or ISIC/OV-chipkaart holder can order the following tickets:
- Train ticket during off-peak hours for €11 (normal price €24,70) = depart after 9 am on weekdays and the entire weekend.
- Train ticket during peak hours for €16,50 (normal price €24,70) = only applicable for travel before 9 am on weekdays!
Enjoy your stay in the Netherlands!