Route and travel information
Please make sure you have read the travel restrictions of the Netherlands before you plan your trip. Also, keep an eye on those travel restrictions as it is possible that they change before your departure.
Travelling to Enschede
You can take the train to Enschede, for example from Schiphol Airport. If you want to prepare for this journey, please check the sites below. We also developed a travel guide in cooperation with ESN, which can be found here!
Journey planner Dutch Railway (NS) - Use this website to plan your journey and to see how much the train ride will cost.
Buy a ticket online - Here, you can buy a train ticket in advance with your credit card or using iDEAL.
Route description and campus map - On this website you can find a route description to the University of Twente and a map of our campus.
If you travel to the University of Twente by train, there are multiple options to get to our campus!
- When you arrive at Enschede station, you can take the bus (line 1 - Universiteit) to the campus of the University of Twente. This bus has various different stops right on campus!
- When you arrive at Hengelo station, you can take the bus (line 9 - Enschede CS) to campus or to the city centre of Enschede. The bus stops are located at the Hengelosestraat, next to the campus.
- You can also get off the train at station Enschede Kennispark. From here, it is a 15 minute walk to the entrance of the campus!
Please note: wearing a mask is mandatory in the public transport.
Public transport card discount for international students
The University of Twente and ISIC have arranged a special public transport card with discount for international students.
In the Netherlands you need an OV-chipkaart to travel around with the train, bus, metro and tram. There are two possibilities:
- An anonymous card without any discount
- A personal card, where you need a Dutch debit card and the buying process is written in Dutch
Both options are not ideal for international students. That is why ISIC created the ISIC/OV-chipkaart, a custom-made card for international students. Buy the basic card for €15,- (including the ISIC card) and sign-up (optional) for services and discount created for international students for a small monthly fee:
- 15% discount during off-peak hours on national railway (NS)
- A digital ISIC card, with the best discounts in the Netherlands and the rest of the world
- Customized application process for international students
- Automatic top-up option (no more topping op of balance)
- Travel data, customer service etc in ISIC mobility app
- Public transport bike (OV-fiets) and storage
You need to sign-up for your card here, which includes the public transport card + the digital ISIC card.
Your first train ticket in the Netherlands
What to do when you arrive at Schiphol? Unfortunately you don’t have your OV-chipkaart yet, that is why ISIC offers you your first train ticket in the Netherlands for only €11,- (off peak hours) or €16,50 (peak hours). Specially for ISIC cardholders! With this ticket you can get on board at any station in the Netherlands and decide which station you want to go to.
ISIC members or ISIC/OV-chipkaart holder can order the following tickets:
- Train ticket during off-peak hours for €12,50 (normal price €24,70) = depart after 9 am on weekdays and the entire weekend.
- Train ticket during peak hours for €17,50 (normal price €24,70) = only applicable for travel before 9 am on weekdays!
Get the one-way tickets here!