Route and travel information
Travelling to Enschede
You can take the train to Enschede, for example from Schiphol Airport. If you want to prepare for this journey, please check the sites below. We also developed a travel guide in cooperation with ESN, which can be found here!
Journey planner Dutch Railway (NS) - Use this website to plan your journey and to see how much the train ride will cost.
Buy a ticket online - Here, you can buy a train ticket in advance with your credit card or using iDEAL.
Route description and campus map - On this website you can find a route description to the University of Twente and a map of our campus.
If you travel to the University of Twente by train, there are multiple options to get to our campus!
- When you arrive at Enschede station, you can take the bus (line 1 - Universiteit) to the campus of the University of Twente. This bus has various different stops right on campus!
- When you arrive at Hengelo station, you can take the bus (line 9 - Enschede CS) to campus or to the city centre of Enschede. The bus stops are located at the Hengelosestraat, next to the campus.
- You can also get off the train at station Enschede Kennispark. From here, it is a 15 minute walk to the entrance of the campus!
Public transport card with discount for international students
University of Twente collaborates with Student Mobility to provide international students easy access to all forms of transport in the Netherlands. With Student Mobility you are able to receive a customised public transport card with special discounts for international students! You can use this card for train, tram, metro and bus.
Next to the OV-card, you can also arrange a bike and get your first discounted train ticket from the airport once you arrive in the Netherlands. Sign up or order now and Student Mobility will inform you in time about the pick-up and delivery options!
Student Mobility Card/OV-chipkaart
In the Netherlands you need an OV-chipkaart to travel around with the train, tram, metro and bus. There are two possibilities offered by the NS (National Railway):
- An anonymous card without any discount
- A personal card, where you need a Dutch debit card and the buying process is written in Dutch
Both options are not ideal for international students. That is why Student Mobility created the “Student Mobility Card”, a custom-made OV-chipkaart for international students. You get the card for €15, - and can sign-up (optional) for services and discounts created for international students for a small monthly fee:
- 15% discount during off-peak hours on national railway (NS)
- A digital ISIC card, with the best discounts in the Netherlands and the rest of the world
- A customised application process for international students
- Automatic top-up option (no more topping up of balance)
- Travel data and customer service in the App
- Public transport bike (OV-fiets) and storage
You can reserve a card here, which includes the public transport card + the digital ISIC card. After confirmation the card will be sent to a (EU) postal address or your can pick it up during the Facility Market at the University of Twente.